Avoiding Recruitment Nightmares in ManufacturingSeptember 1
It’s spooky season and we’re talking recruitment nightmares. The manufacturing industry is facing a number of challenges, including increasing competition, automation, and a shortage of skilled workers. This makes it even more important for manufacturers to get their senior-level manufacturing recruitment right.
One of the biggest challenges in senior-level manufacturing recruitment is avoiding recruitment nightmares. These are situations where the wrong candidate is hired, which can lead to a number of problems, including:
- Increased costs: Hiring the wrong candidate can lead to increased costs, as the company may have to pay for training, severance pay, or even legal fees.
- Lost productivity: A bad hire can also lead to lost productivity, as the employee may not be able to do the job effectively.
- Damage to morale: A bad hire can also damage morale among other employees, who may feel that the company is not making good decisions.
There are a number of things that manufacturers can do to avoid recruitment nightmares in senior-level manufacturing recruitment. Here are a few tips:
- Start by defining the role clearly. What are the specific responsibilities of the role? What skills and experience are required? The more clearly you can define the role, the easier it will be to find the right candidate.
- Use a variety of channels to reach potential candidates. Don't just rely on job boards. Reach out to industry associations, employee referrals, and social media to find qualified candidates.
- Screen candidates carefully. Don't just look at resumes. Conduct phone interviews and in-person interviews to get a good sense of the candidate's skills, experience, and fit for the role.
- Get references. Don't hire anyone without getting references. Talk to the candidate's previous employers to get a sense of their performance and work ethic.
- Trust your gut. If you have a bad feeling about a candidate, don't hire them. There are plenty of other qualified candidates out there.
Avoiding recruitment nightmares in senior-level manufacturing recruitment takes time, effort, and planning. But by following the tips above, manufacturers can increase their chances of hiring the right candidates and avoiding costly mistakes. At Handley James, we understand that recruitment, especially for senior-level positions can be scary, but that’s where we come in with our holistic and proven approach.